Nicholas A. Shannin, Esquire, is a Florida Bar Board Certified appellate attorney. He has been licensed to practice law in Florida since graduating with honors from the University of Florida College of Law in 1994. Nick received his undergraduate degree from Rice University in Houston, Texas, graduating from Rice with a double major in Political Science and Sociology. Before receiving his Texas-sized degree, Nick graduated from Osceola High School in nearby Kissimmee, Florida. He remains a proud Osceola Kowboy (yes, spelled with a “K,” for Kissimmee) to this day.
Nick has a passion for the law and for organizations that help people in need. He has been a long-time board member of both the West Orange Habitat for Humanity and the Legal Aid Society of Orange County. He is a past president of the board for both organizations. Nick has also been honored by the Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section as the recipient of its “Pro-Bono Attorney of the Year” award, in large part for his work with the Legal Aid Society.
Nick has been reviewed by his peers as “AV-Preeminent,” which is Martindale-Hubbell’s highest ranking for ability and ethics. He has also been recognized by Florida Trend’s Legal Elite and Florida SuperLawyers, each recognizing the top 2% and top 5% of Florida attorneys, respectively, since 2007. Nick received both of the Orange County Bar’s professionalism awards for his outstanding ethics — the Lawrence Matthews Young Lawyer Professionalism Award and the William Trickle, Jr. Professionalism Award. He also served as President of the Orange County Bar Association. Since 2014, Nick has appeared in SuperLawyers’ “The Top 100” list, which recognizes the best one hundred lawyers in the state of Florida.
- Florida Bar Board Certified Appellate Attorney, 2006 – present
- Oral arguments conducted before every Florida appellate court, including the Florida Supreme Court
- Oral arguments conducted before Federal Appellate Courts in the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- Admitted, and represented prevailing party before, the Supreme Court of the United States
- Admitted, 5th, 11th, and Federal (D.C.) Circuit Courts of Appeal
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite (top 2% of lawyers), 2007 – present
- AV+ Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2006 – present
- Pro Bono Award, Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section, 2010
- Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Assoc. Jake Stone Pro Bono Award, 2020
- Orange County Bar William Trickle, Jr. Professionalism Award recipient, 2019
- Orange County Bar Lawrence Matthews Professionalism Award recipient, 2005
- Chair, Florida Bar Council of Sections, 2021-2022
- Chair, Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section, 2019-2020
- President, Orange County Bar Association, 2014-2015
- President, Orange County Legal Aid Society Board of Trustees, 2008-2009
- President, Orange County Bar Foundation, 2005-2007
- Member, Florida Bar Board of Governors, Young Lawyer Section, 2005-2006
- President, Orange County Bar Young Lawyers Section, 2003-2004
- Member, National Association of Parliamentarians, 2011-present
- Director, Tiger Bay Club of Central Florida Board, 2015-present
Nick is proud to actively support the work of Habitat for Humanity and serves as spokesman and past president of West Orange Habitat for Humanity.
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Mock Trial Advocate, 2015-present
- Judge, Orange County Teen Court, 2001-2004
- Coach, West Orange High School Mock Trial and Moot Court Teams, 1998-2000
- Chair, Great Oaks Village (Orphanage) Campaign, 1999-2000
- Guardian Ad Litem, over 50 children represented, 1994-present
- Cubmaster, Pack 6, St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 2008-2010
- President, West Orange Habitat for Humanity, 2005-2007 / Board of Directors 2000-2012 / Legal Advisor, 2021-present